HOME EXERCISE PROGRAM: Calf Stretch #1
To stretch the gastrocnemius muscles (posterior lower leg muscles)
Stand facing the wall, hands shoulder width apart on the wall. Place one leg forward, the other behind. You may place a towel under the inside arch of the back leg to prevent foot from rolling in
- Slowly bend the forward knee towards the wall – move from the hips keeping the back neutral. The back leg stays straight with the heel on the ground.
- DON’T BOUNCE!
- Hold for prescribed number of seconds
(Your doctor will tell you how long to hold. Patient’s needs vary.)
- Repeat prescribed number of times with each leg, for the prescribed number of times a day
(Your doctor will tell you how many times to repeat. Patient’s needs vary.)
HOME EXERCISE PROGRAM: Calf Stretch #2
To stretch the gastrocnemius muscles (posterior leg muscles).
Sit with leg straight
- Place exercise band or hand towel around ball of your foot and pull back keeping your knee straight
- Hold for 40 seconds
- Repeat 5 times with each leg, 2 times a day
HOME EXERCISE PROGRAM: Ice Massage
- Roll foot on a frozen water bottle for 20 minutes
- Make sure you have a sock on or a barrier between your skin and frozen water bottle
Click here to print a .PDF of the calf stretch #2 exercise